Acupuncture, is rapidly gaining popularity as an adjunctive therapy to IVF. It is very benign, minimally invasive and has virtually no adverse side-effects. Research shows that the provision of acupuncture treatments immediately before and after embryo transfer may significantly increases embryo implantation rates.
Acupuncture has been proven to reduce mental stress and also changes the way stress hormones affect the neurological / hormonal (neuro-endocrine) and immune systems underlying sub-fertility.
Other research has found that acupuncture, especially around the time of the COH, improves pregnancy outcomes in women undergoing IVF.
How Does It Work?
- Increase blood flow to the uterus, which improves the chances of an ovum implanting in the uterine wall
- Reduces anxiety, stress, and the hormones that are secreted during stressful situations that can significantly decrease fertility
- Normalise hormone and endocrine systems that regulate ovulation, specifically in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Positively affect the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis, which plays a key role in fertility regulate menstrual cycle In a study published in Human Reproduction Journal, and ultrasound was used to evaluate blood flow to the uterus during acupuncture treatments. The study found the blood flow increases during treatment. According to Dr. Nancy Snyderman, “When acupuncture needles are placed correctly, it can affect the nervous system. The idea is that if you stimulate the nervous system, you can make the uterus quiet and allow blood to flow.”
- Relaxing the uterus and increasing blood flow allows for the successful implant of an embryo within the uterine lining.
Our acupuncturists Nobue and Tracy have many years of experience in working with IVF and ART. If you would like to discuss this more please contact the clinic on 01372 464659 to find out more.
Tracy graduated from the University of Westminster in 2008 with a Health Science BSc (hons) degree in TCM: Acupuncture. She specialises in women’s health, particularly fertility and menopause. She also offers a bespoke anti-ageing Cosmetic Acupuncture Facial treatment.
Nobue is fully qualified in Acupuncture, Moxibustion and Massage and has been practicing for over 15 years in U.K. She specialise in treating clients where organs are under stress such as stomach problems, immune system issues, gynaecological issues, allergies, nervous system problems and hormonal imbalances.